The parish church of St Edward the Confessor is on Hollow Lane; it is a Grade II* listed building. It was built from the 13th to 15th century.
In the churchyard are buried Sir Thomas Wardle (1831–1909) and his wife Elizabeth. Thomas Wardle owned a dye-works in Leek which specialised in silk. He was a friend of the architect George Gilbert Scott, Jr. and of the artist William Morris: in the 1860s there were additions to the church by Scott, and stained-glass windows in the church were created by artists associated with William Morris.
The cross in the churchyard is an ancient monument. The base is medieval; the upper part is by George Gilbert Scott Jr. and features Instruments of the Passion designed by William Morris.